- Sleep. Kua papa aia i te puakaoa i te moeanga ki runga i te roi. He beat the dog for sleeping on the bed; Kua moea teia roi. This bed has been slept in; Mate iora te tamaiti a taua vaine i te po; No te mea kua moeia e ia a rungao. The woman’s child died in the night because she had slept on top of it (1 Kings 3.19); Kua varea au e te moe. I became drowsy; Kua aere a Rere ki te moe, Rere has gone to bed. Kakau moe, sleeping gear (pyjamas, blankets etc.). Kua apai kakau moe mai au noku. I’ve brought my own bedding. Moe araara, sleep wakefully, doze fitfully. Kua moe araara au i napo i te manako-anga iaia. I didn’t sleep well last night thinking about him. Moe kau, to sleep embraced: in tamaiti moekau a beloved or favourite child. See moekau and cf. moe keke, to sleep in the armpit of another (as as favourite grandchild might sleep with his grandfather). Moe nanu(nanu), to sleep muttering. E aa taau e moe nanu ra i napo? Why were you muttering in your sleep last night? Moe roa, sleep late, oversleep. Auraka koe e moe roa apopo i te popongi. Don’t sleep in tomorrow morning. Moe vave, go to bed early. E moe vave koe i teia po, go to sleep early tonight.
- Sleep with, have intercourse. Auraka koe e moe i to unonga vaine ra. You must not sleep with your daughter-in-law (Levi. 15.18); te au vaine katoa i moeia e te tangata ra, all the women that man has slept with.
- Dream. I napo kua moe au e te arumakiia nei au e te toa puakatoro. Last night I dreamed that I was being chased by a bull; E moe kino taku i napo. I had a bad dream last night.
- Lie down, lurk (as a fish). Kua moe te oroenua ki raro e kua takaviriviri aere. The horse lay down and rolled; Kua moe the puaka ki roto i te vari. The pig lay in the mud. Moe tapapa, wait up or lie in wait for sbdy. Mei naea mai toku moe tapapaanga iaia. Goodness knows how long I’ve been waiting up for him; Kua moe tapapa aia i te keia i te aereanga mai. He lay in wait for the thief. Moe ua, to lie around idle, wool-gathering, inattentive. E aa koe i moe ua ai ma te angaanga kore? Why are you lying about and not working?; Ka aere ana ka akara i te ro, e tenana tangata moe ua. Go and look at the ant, thou sluggard (Prov. 6.6); Kua akanaenaeia te kai e te vaine moe ua. The dozy woman let the food get burnt.
- Die (euphemism for mate). Kua moe to matou metua i te ra rua ngauru ma rima o Tiunu. Our father passed away on the twenty-fifth of June. (See araramoe, akamoe-(moe), akamoe-au, mamomoe, moeaana, moenga, moekau, moemoe, moemoea, momoe, momomoe, tamoe(moe).) [Pn. *mohe.]
Related to moe